Obesity is no longer an epidemic that only affects humans – it has now spread to their animal counterparts. Our pets are becoming overweight and obese at an alarming rate. We have a small problem where we overfeed our pets, overtreat them, and sometimes let them indulge in too many lazy days in the house.
At PetsWelcome, we want you and your pet to have many many years together. Part of that means having a healthy and happy life, which includes a good diet, good love, and exercise! If you’re not sure why your dog needs to get fit, if the chub isn’t too bad, and if you think he’ll slim down with reduced food, think again. Your dog needs more.
Here are 5 reasons to get your dog slim, fit, and trim
- It makes them feel better! If you’ve ever had a few extra pounds on you, you know just how tiring it can be. You feel a little more sluggish and walking up stairs or hills takes more wind out of you. It’s no different for our dogs. Losing weight can give them back the energy they’ve been missing.
- It make them cuter! Pets who lose a few pounds may have a nicer shape to their body and their fur and skin improves when they are in good shape.
- Pets who are fit live longer. Dogs have an average lifespan of 12 years, but research shows that fit pets live approximately 15% longer than overweight pets.
- It can save you money. Overweight or obese dogs can have a myriad of health issues due to their extra weight such as high blood pressure, special dietary changes, arthritis, and heart disease. Some dogs require medication as they get older and if they are heavy. A dog that is in an ideal weight for its breed, height, and build tends to cost less in the long run.
- You’ll have a workout buddy! Working out alone can get pretty old, pretty quick. Your dog can make a great exercise partner! They can keep you company while you jog … and best of all, it’s a great way for you BOTH to be healthy!
There is no time like the present to get your pet on the road to being healthy.
Image from Nexercise.com