Antifreeze: Keep Pets Safe

by
January 16, 2014
Comments Off

Winter weather can bring snow, ice, and sleet to your town. This means we pull out chemicals to keep our cars from stalling and our sidewalks from becoming ice rinks. Keep in mind that we could accidentally be exposing our pets to poisons. Antifreeze is a sweet tasting chemical and cats and dogs may lick it because of its sweetness.

A small amount of antifreeze can lead to kidney failure, stomach problems, and vomiting. If left untreated it can be fatal. Pets are often exposed to it from a car that has a small leak and puddles left in the gutters. They can also be exposed to it in the garage where spills occur.

Antifreeze is toxic because of the ingredient, ethylene glycol. It causes damage to kidneys and can harm the central nervous system. If your pet walks through a puddle of it in the street, in the garage, and licks their paws that can be enough antifreeze to cause severe illness or death. Immediate veterinary care is necessary to prevent the toxin from being absorbed into your pet’s liver.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning are as follows:

  1. your pet may appear confused
  2. vomiting
  3. depression
  4. increased thirst and urination
  5. sores appearing in the mouth
  6. lethargy

Take preventative measures and keep all toxins out of reach of your pets and your children

  • Wipe your pet’s feet when you come in from a walk to remove debris, chemicals, and dirt
  • Keep the antifreeze in a sealed container
  • Check your garage floor for spills
  • Check your car for leaks
  • Switch to a pet-safe antifreeze such as one that has propylene instead of ethylene

Image from Inlander.com

Comments

My Petswelcome Passport

Now you can save your route and access it anytime on your trip and/or for future travel. If you already have a Petswelcome Passport account, just log-in to save this route.

Log-in to your account


Create an Account


Petswelcome Passport

Get yours today!

Once you put in your Search by Route departure point and destination and click on Get Directions, you will be asked if you'd like to save your route. If you would like to save it, you'll be asked to create you own account by putting in your email address and creating a password so you can access your directions anytime on your trip or in the future.

Petswelcome Passport

Get yours today!

To save your route just fill in the information below and you'll be able to keep it as long as you'd like and access it anytime on-line.  No more printing and forgetting to take the directions with you. And by saving trees and ink, you'll feel good about yourself, save money, contribute to a cleaner environment and, most importantly, be able to spend more time on having a great trip with your WHOLE family. How sweet is that?

Just fill in the information below to create an Petswelcome Passport account:

My Petswelcome Passport

Log-in to your account.



Create Account Lost Password? Learn More…

Petswelcome Passport


Create Account Lost Password? Learn More…

Petswelcome Passport

Reset Password

Enter the email address you used to create your account and we'll send you a link to reset your password: