Winter weather can bring snow, ice, and sleet. This means we pull out the extra blankets, winter clothing, and chemicals to keep our cars from stalling and our sidewalks from becoming ice rinks. When using different chemicals and things to make our lives a little more manageable, keep in mind that we could accidentally be exposing our pets to poisons. Antifreeze is a sweet tasting chemical and cats and dogs may lick it because of its sweetness.
A small amount of antifreeze can lead to kidney failure, stomach problems, and vomiting. If left untreated it can be fatal. Pets are oft exposed to it from a car that has a small leak and puddles left in the gutters. They can also be exposed to it in the garage where spills occur or from being nosey and checking out all the bottles and jugs there.
Antifreeze is toxic because of the ingredient, ethylene glycol. It causes damage to kidneys and can harm the central nervous system. If your pet walks through a puddle of it in the street, in the garage, and licks their paws that can be enough antifreeze to cause severe illness or death. Immediate veterinary care is necessary to prevent the toxin from being absorbed into your pet’s liver.
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning are as follows:
1: your pet may appear confused
4: increased thirst and urination
5: sores appearing in the mouth
If you think your pet has ingested some antifreeze, get to the vet asap. Your vet may hook your pet up to an IV to counteract the poison and administer some medication to slow down the metabolism of the toxin. Your pet may also be monitored overnight.
Take preventative measures and keep all toxins out of reach of your pets and your children. Wipe your pet’s feet when you come in from a walk to remove debris, chemicals, and dirt. Keep the antifreeze in a sealed container. Check your garage floor for spills, check your car for leaks, and take care of them as soon as you can. Also, you may want to switch to a pet-safe antifreeze such as one that has propylene instead of ethylene.