Earlier this month, a family in Sun Valley California reported that a mountain lion attacked and killed their pet dog. Their dog, along with another family, have lost their pets to a mountain lion. There have also been several other residents who have heard animals scream or howl at night and believe that mountain lions are the reason. To read the rest of the article, you can find it on CBS News’s website, here.
If you live in an area where mountain lions are known to roam, the California Department of Fish and Game advises the following tips:
- Do not feed deer
- Trim brush to reduce the hiding places for mountain lions
- Don’t let your pets out at night, dusk, and dawn. These are times mountain lions are the most active.
- Bring pet food inside to avoid attracting wild animals to your yard
- If you hike or jog think about finding a friend to accompany you
- If you come face to face with a mountain lion, do not run, try to make yourself look bigger by waving your arms
- Throw rocks and other objects if you encounter a mountain lion to scare it away
- If attacked, fight back
- If you witness an attack, immediately call 911
Image from Denver Post