Summer isn’t always easy on us or our pets. Sometimes it’s just too hot or humid to do much outside. Our pets can overheat, we may be nursing a sunburn, and our cars feel like ovens when we get inside of them. Our pets are also exposed to different poisons during the spring and summer that they may not come across during the colder months. Plants and the fertilizers used to help them grow can be poisonous and cause problems such as kidney failure, vomiting, and other symptoms.
Some of the summer plants to be aware of:
Crocuses: There are two types of crocus plants, one that blooms in the spring and the other in the fall. The spring one is more common and may cause an upset stomach followed by vomiting in dogs and cats if they eat it. However, the fall crocus is much more toxic and can cause organ failure.
Sago Palm: This plant can cause severe illness in dogs and may cause damage to the stomach lining and liver. The plant is thought to be one of the most deadly ones in dogs and prompt treatment is always necessary. The leaves and seeds are especially poisonous to your pet. If you have one of these plants, keep it out of reach of your pet or think about giving it away to a friend who doesn’t have a pup.
Lilies: Cats tend to chew on plants. Lilies, depending on the type, can cause minor illness and make them a little sick but asiatic, easter, and day lilies can be deadly. Ingesting a small amount of them or licking the pollen that falls on their fur can result in kidney failure.
Soil additives and fertilizers: While some are harmless there are those that contain bone meal, blood meal, and some insecticides and pesticides contain organophosphates. These are harmful and can cause gastrointestinal problems, pancreatitis, and in some cases, be life-threatening.