Emirates Airlines is headquartered on the grounds of Dubai International Airport, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is the largest airline in the Middle East with over 2,500 flights per week. Emirates was founded in 1985 with backing from the royal family when other airlines began cutting back services to Dubai.
Emirates Pet Policy
Animals may not travel in the cabin with passengers on Emirates Airlines, with the exception of Guide Dogs and falcons between Dubai and certain destinations in Pakistan. Other animals such as cats, dogs, birds, and small animals must travel in the hold as checked baggage as long as the flight is less than 17 hours and airline approved carriers are used along with other conditions.
Check Flight Prices
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- Emirates charges normal excess baggage rates for animals transported as checked baggage
- No birds may be allowed on any flight between May 1 and September 30th due to high humidity and heat
- A valid health certificate is needed for all animals traveling
- Kennels must be leakproof and escape-proof
- Kennels must be made of materials that are hard such as metal, wood, or plastic
- Contain absorbent material or litter
- Have functional handles on the exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals
- Be able to securely close but not be locked in case of emergency
For animals traveling with Emirates a 24-hour emergency contact number and the optimum temperature requirement must always be shown on the animal’s travel container. Certain countries restrict importation of animals as baggage. Please contact your local Emirates office for more information.
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: Emirates Pet Policy
Pets that are pregnant are restricted from traveling if it is beyond the 1/3 of the gestation period or has given birth within 48 hours of travel. All itineraries terminating in Dubai, animals must be transported as cargo, due to UAE government regulations. If your travel starts in the United States and the first carrier on your booking is not Emirates, different rules may apply.
For more details about Emirates Airlines pet policies, please see this page of the Emirates website