KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij) is headquartered on the grounds of Amstelveen, near its hub in Amsterdam Airport. It is the flag carrier of the Netherlands. KLM operates worldwide passenger and cargo services to more than 90 destinations. It is also the oldest airline in the world still operating under its original name. The merger of KLM with Air France in 2004, created Air France-KLM and is part of the Sky Team Alliance.
KLM Pet Policy
The rules for pet transportation vary depending on your country and destination. On some aircrafts and certain destinations, pets my be restricted or limited. Pets may travel in the cabin, baggage, or be transported as cargo depending on size and destination. Special rules apply for service animals that are trained to assist passengers with disabilities or rescue teams.
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- During the flight your pet cannot be taken out of its carrier
- Health certificates and travel documents must be presented before flights
- Certain destinations may have a quarantine period, consult the embassy before booking your flight of your final destination
- Dogs and cats must be older than 15 weeks and have proof of required vaccinations to travel
- Dogs and cats weighing less than 13 lbs including the weight of the carrier
- Guide dogs are allowed regardless of their weight and size
- Hard shell cases must not be higher than 7.9 inches. Pet must be able to stand up and lie down comfortably.
- Pets that exceed 13 lbs may travel in the hold, or baggage area
- Carriers must be non-wooden and comply with IATA rules
- Total weight of pet and carrier must not exceed 165 lbs.
- Breed restrictions apply
You must register your pet in advance of your flight by contacting KLM at least 48 hours in advance. If you don’t register your pet ahead of time, your pet will not be permitted on the flight.
Pets in the Cabin: KLM Policy
A small cat or dog may travel in economy class on all KLM flights and in business class within Europe:
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: KLM Policy
For more details about KLM’s pet policies, please see this page of the KLM website