Lufthansa is the flag carrier of Germany and the largest airline in Europe in terms of passengers transported and fleet size. The name of the company is from the German word for “air” (Luft). The airline is a founding member of the Star Alliance and has its headquarters in Cologne, Germany.
Lufthansa Pet Policy
Lufthansa will transport your animals in the cabin or cargo of the plane depending on their size and weight. For some breeds of dogs, special transport regulations may apply. The airline also suggests that the passengers be aware of import and export by-laws when transporting pets to other countries.
Check Flight Prices
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- Pets are not included in the baggage allowance and are counted as excess baggage
- Guide dogs and other service animals are allowed to travel free of charge in the cabin with the passenger
- Additional fees for traveling with pets vary depending on the size of the carrier, destination, and number of animals
You must register your pet in advance of your flight by contacting Lufthansa (contact information here). If you don’t register your pet ahead of time, your pet will not be permitted on the flight.
Pets in the Cabin: Lufthansa Policy
With prior approval from booking your tickets, you may transport in the cabin:
- Dogs and cats must be older than 15 weeks and have proof of required vaccinations to travel
- Dogs and cats weighing less than 13 lbs including the weight of the carrier
- Guide dogs are allowed regardless of their weight and size
- Hard-Sided: 19in/23cm (height), 15.5in/40cm (width), 21.5in/55cm (length)
- Soft-Sided: 10.5in/27cm (height), 15.5in/40cm (width), 21.5in/55cm (length)
- The kennel must fit under the seat for the entire flight
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: Lufthansa Policy
- Kennels must be leak-proof and escape-proof
- Kennels must be made of materials that are hard such as metal, wood, or plastic
- Contain absorbent material or litter
- Have functional handles on the exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals
- Be able to securely close but not be locked in case of emergency