Southwest Airlines is the largest low-cost carrier in the U.S. and is headquartered in Dallas, Tx. In Mat of 2011, Southwest acquired AirTran Airways and a completely integration is expected to be completed by 2015. Currently, the airline has more than 3,400 flights a day to over 70 destinations in 40 states.
Southwest Airlines Pet Policy
Domesticated cats and dogs are allowed on flights. They must be vaccinated and in a carrier that adheres to their regulations. A pet fare of $75 each way is added to the total fare of your flight and the carrier counts as one personal or carry-on item.
Check Flight Prices
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- During the flight your pet cannot be taken out of its carrier
- Pets must be secured in the carrier at all times
- The carrier must fit under the seat: 19″ x 14″ x 8.25″
- Customer traveling with pets may not occupy an exit seat or seat with no forward under-seat stowage.
- Pets are only allowed to travel in the cabin. No pets travel in cargo.
- No more than 5 pet carriers per flight.
- Cats and dogs must at least 8 weeks old to travel.
- Southwest assumes no liability for the health or well-being of the carry-on pets.
- Pets are not allowed to travel with minors.
You must register your pet in advance of your flight by calling 1-800-435-9792. Pets will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Southwest Airlines maintains the right to refuse pets who exhibit aggressive behavior or any characteristics that appear incompatible with air travel.
Pets in the Cabin: Southwest Airlines Policy
With prior approval from booking your tickets, you may transport in the cabin:
For more details about Southwest Airlines’ pet policies, please see this pageof the Southwest Airlines website