Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited (operating as Virgin Atlantic) is a British airline owned by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%). It is headquarters is in Crawley, West Sussex, England, near Gatwick Airport. Virgin Atlantic operates between the UK and North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
Virgin Atlantic’s Pet Policy
The rules for pet transportation vary depending on your country and destination and require different documents and paperwork to be completed before departing or arriving at your destination. On some aircrafts and certain destinations, pets my be restricted or limited. When booking your flights, indicate whether or not you plan to travel with your pet.
Check Flight Prices
Your pet to the following destinations:
Barbados, Boston, Chicago, Cape Town, Dubai, Hong Kong, JFK, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark, Orlando, San Francisco, Sydney, Vancouver and Washington.
Please check with your local cargo office for days of operation as we do not accept pets daily on these flights.
- They do not accept bookings for pets landing or leaving the UK on a Sunday.
- Chicago, Cape Town and Vancouver flights are seasonal.
- No pets are allows on flights to and from Glasgow and Manchester.
- They do not accept pets leaving Orlando and Miami from 1st June through to and inclusive the 30th September
Pets who travel with their owners are safely secured in the hold, which is heated and air-conditioned like the cabin. Only dogs and cats are accepted on flights. Virgin Atlantic cannot accept cats or dogs that are snub-nosed like Persians, Pekingnese, or any dog listed under the Dangerous Dogs Act. For more information, look at their conditions of carriage.
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: Virgin Atlantic’s Policy
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- All cages must be able to lock securely
- The minimum size cage VAA will accept for travel is 53 x 40 x 38 cms (21 x 16 x 15 inches)
- Be made of wood or hard plastic
- Be rigid on all sides (non-collapsible) and not have a roof with a grill that opens
- Have an appropriate sized water dish attached to the inside of the cage door
- Be big enough to allow your pet to lie down, turn around and stand up – leaving at least 5cm (2”) between the top of your pet’s head and the roof of the box
For more details about Virgin Atlantic’s Pet Policy, please view this page of their website.