7 Poisonous Plants

It’s National Pet Poison Awareness Month and aside from chemicals and cleaners we have in our homes, in our garage, and in the fridge that could make our pets very sick there are a number of plants that are bad for our pets to chew on and ingest. Some can have mild effects like vomiting but others can create kidney problems or even be fatal. If you have any of the following plants in your home, keep them in places where your pets can not get to them or possibly even replace them with others that aren’t as dangerous.

Here are 7 plants that are poisonous to pets:

1: Lilies – members of the lillium species are considered to be highly toxic to cats. Ingesting a small amount can lead to kidney damage. Keep these pretty flowers away from your curious cat.

2: Marijuana – there are a lot of dogs and cats who seem to be curious about this plant. Ingesting some of it can result in a depression of the nervous system and result in in-coordination, vomiting, drooling, and increased heart rate. In some severe cases there can be seizures and coma. If you have this plant in your house for any reason, keep it out of reach of your pet and use it areas where your pet is not allowed.

3: Tulips and Narcissus bulbs – the bulb part of the tulip has toxins in it that cause major problems to the digestive system of the pets. A loss of appetite, drooling, vomiting, and sometimes cardiac abnormalities can result.

4: Oleander – this plant is toxic. The whole plant is poisonous to pets and can cause serious problems such as hypothermia, abnormal heart functionality and even death. It contains cardiac glycosides which are very dangerous. Definitely keep this plant somewhere where your pets cannot access it.

5: Kalanchoe – components of this plant have been known to create gastrointestinal irritation and have also caused problems to the cardiac rhythm and rate.

6: Amaryllis – this is a common garden plant that appears in Spring. It contains toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, anorexia, and tremors.

7: Yew – this species contains a toxic component called taxine. Taxine can cause problems with the nervous system and intestinal tract. If your pet ingests any part of the plant it could cause trembling, in-coordination, problems breathing, as well as cardiac failure. In extreme cases, the toxins from this plant can cause death.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *