You probably know most of these tips when it comes to making sure your pet is kept safe and cool this summer, but it never hurts to be reminded. As the temperatures change, the things we need to be mindful of when caring for our pets change too.
8 Safety Tips for Summer
- Never, ever leave your dog in the car
- Make sure your dog has unlimited access to fresh water
- Make sure your dog has access to shade when outside
- Take walks during the cooler hours of the day
- When walking, try to stay off of hot surfaces (like asphalt) because it can burn your dog’s paws
- If you think it’s hot outside, it’s even hotter for your pet – make sure your pet has a means of cooling off
- Keep your dog free of external parasites (fleas, ticks) and heartworms – talk to your vet about the best types of preventatives
- Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats (talk to your veterinarian first to see if it’s appropriate for your pet), and apply sunscreen to your pet if there are areas where the skin is completely exposed to the sun
Have other tips? Let us know!