Fostering a dog is a great way to help a pup find a forever home and also great for you. The presence of a pet in a home can bring a lot of joy and a lot of fun into a daily routine. But, before you complete the interview and paperwork with a rescue group, make sure you have a good idea of the dog you’re bringing into your home.
9 Questions to Ask Before Bringing a Foster Dog Home
- Does the dog have any medications or medical concerns?
- What, if any, behavioral issues does the dog have and how are they being dealt with?
- How is s/he with other dogs, cats, small animals, children? Can my family meet him before we foster him?
- If there is a medical emergency, how would you like me to handle it?
- If there is a problem, who do I contact?
- Can I crate train him?
- Who will pay for vet visits, medical bills, and any other treatments while I foster?
- What happens if I’m unable to continue fostering him/her?
- What if I fail fostering 101 and want to adopt the dog, do I get priority over other potential adopters?
Image from Doghouseadoptions.com