Pet Tips 101: Do Not Let Your Pet Near Marijuana

Now that the laws regarding marijuana (pot) are becoming more relaxed in some states, the ASPCA and Pet Poison Hotline have noted there is a rise in emergencies regarding dogs who have ingested marijuana. The Pet Poison Helpline reported a 200% rise in cases of marijuana ingestion.

So, what does marijuana do to pets? It is rare for them to die from it but they can get very ill. Most commonly dogs will eat food that has marijuana in it like pot brownies, butter mixed with it, licked the water in a glass bong, or/and sometimes directly eat some of the dried plant. If you have this plant in your house or your dog spends time with someone who does, you may want to keep an eye out for some signs of poisoning and let your friends know to be extra cautious with leaving out foods or other items that your dog could get.

Signs of Marijuana Poisoning in Pets

  • stumbling
  • loss of coordination
  • wet/glassy eyes
  • dilated pupils
  • vomiting
  • agitation
  • overly excited
  • drooling
  • urine dribbling
  • increased heart rate
  • tremors
  • seizures

Image from Seattle Dogs Spot

Facebook Comments