Poisonous Summer Plants

Summer isn’t easy on our pets. Some days it’s just too hot or humid to do much outside. Our pets can overheat or just be uncomfortable and want to just lay on the cold tiles. Summer also exposes our pets to different poisons that they may not come across during the other seasons. Plants and fertilizers used to help gardens grow can be poisonous to our pets and cause problems such as kidney failure, vomiting, and other symptoms.

Some summer plants to be aware of:

Crocuses: There are two types of crocus plants, one that blooms in the spring and the other in the fall. The spring one is more common and may cause an upset stomach followed by vomiting in dogs and cats if they eat it. However, the fall crocus is much more toxic and can cause organ failure.

Sago Palm: Sago palms may cause damage to the stomach lining and liver. The plant is thought to be one of the most deadly ones to dogs and prompt treatment is always necessary. The leaves and seeds are especially poisonous to your pet. If you have one of these plants, keep it out of reach of your pet or think about giving it away to a friend who doesn’t have a pup.

Lilies: Cats tend to chew on plants. Lilies, depending on the type, can cause minor illness and make them a little sick but the other types: asiatic, easter, and day lilies can be deadly. Ingesting a small amount of them or licking the pollen that falls on their fur can result in kidney failure.

Soil additives and fertilizers: While some fertilizers and additives are harmless to pets, there are those that contain bone meal and blood meal. Some insecticides and pesticides contain organophosphates. These ingredients are harmful and can cause gastrointestinal problems, pancreatitis, and in some cases, be life-threatening.

If you’re working on your garden, read the labels on the fertilizers and make sure your plants are safe for your pets.

Comments

One thought on “Poisonous Summer Plants

  1. Thank you so much for this article. I had no idea that the Sago Palm I had growing in my yard was so toxic to my dogs! I immediately dug it up, planted it in a pot, and took it to work. My terriers have sampled other plants in the yard; I’m so glad they skipped this one! Thanks again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *