British Airways is headquartered in Waterside, near its main hub at London Heathrow Airport. It is the largest airline in the UK based on fleet size and was the airline partner for the London 2012 Olympic Games. British Airways serves nearly 150 destinations and is one of only ten carriers to fly to all six permanently inhabited continents.
British Airways Pet Policy
The rules for pet transportation vary depending on your country and destination. On some aircrafts and certain destinations, pets my be restricted or limited. When booking your flights, indicate whether or not you plan to travel with your pet to find out whether pets are allowed. Pets must be booked to travel with British Airways World Cargo, and they will be carried in the aircraft holding area. Charges for pets depend on the size of the kennel, weight of your pet, and distance traveled. Cargo charges will be quoted when you confirm your pet for travel with British Airways World Cargo.
- Your pet must travel in a container that is ventilated
- The carrier must be large enough for your pet to stand up, turn around, and lie down.
- Your pet’s travel container must be strong enough to protect your pet during the flight, be secure, and have a water and food container that is accessible from outside the carrier.
A heat embargo may apply at any USA origin station when the local temperature exceeds 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Please check with the station before departure.
Pets in the Cabin: British Airways Policy
The only animals allowed to travel in the cabin on British Airways are service animals such as guide dogs. If you are traveling with your service animal it must comply with the Pet Travel Scheme and can only travel in the cabin on specific DEFRA approved routes. For more information, please check this page of the British Airways website.
To prepare your service animal for travel:
- Bring a dog safety harness to secure your dog during take off and landing
- On long haul flights, a fleece bed is suggested to maximize comfort for your service pet.
- You will need to contact DEFRA, which will require a faxed copy of all documentation about your pet and vaccines prior to travel.
- When booking your flight, you must notify British Airways that you are traveling with a service animal.
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: British Airways Policy
During flight, your pet will travel in the plane’s hold or cargo area where it will be safe and secure in a temperature controlled environment. The hold is unlit as they have experienced that darker spaces help animals relax and settle down faster during travel.
- Pets booked to travel with British Airways World Cargo are handled in full compliance with the IATA Live Animal Regulations and Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
- Animals such as dogs, cats, birds, and reptiles can be transported on passenger planes. If you are looking to transport larger animals such as horses or cattle, they will be transported via British Airways’ freighter network.
- You will need to reconfirm the booking for your pet (maximum 14 days and minimum 3 days prior to travel) when details about your pet and the size of container and fees will be checked.
- On the day of travel, you must deliver your pet to the British Airways World Cargo Office. The travel container will be checked and the appropriate charges collected.
- You will be asked to sign a Form of Indemnity to cover British Airways against any costs arising from your pet not passing the PETS checks on arrival and having to go into quarantine.
For more details about British Airways ‘s pet policies, please see this page of the British Airways website
7 thoughts on “British Airways”
What is the cost ro take.my dog from gibraltar to uk in December
What is the cost to fly my dog from Chicago usa to tel Aviv Israel?
What is the cost and what do I have to do to take my cat from Las Vegas to Warsaw Poland on July 7, 2018?
Correction – that’s July 17, 2018.
Could you tell me the cost of flying a Golden Retriever Bitch, her weight is 29 kg and a Podengo x Terrier Bitch, her weight is 7.5 kg from Faro, Portugal to Antalya, Turkey. Do you do a direct flight or are there stops. The month will probably be November 2018. Thank you. Sheila
What will it cost to transfer my 3.5kg dog Lisbon to London
Hi I am looking to transport a pet dog from Oslo to either London or Manchester in November in the cabin do you do this