Lufthansa is the flag carrier of Germany and the largest airline in Europe in terms of passengers transported and fleet size. The name of the company is from the German word for “air” (Luft). The airline is a founding member of the Star Alliance and has its headquarters in Cologne, Germany.
Lufthansa Pet Policy
Lufthansa will transport your animals in the cabin or cargo of the plane depending on their size and weight. For some breeds of dogs, special transport regulations may apply. The airline also suggests that the passengers be aware of import and export by-laws when transporting pets to other countries.
- As of January 2017 the only animals accepted in the cargo hold are dogs, cats, hares and rabbits.
- Maximum of 2 pets per passenger (in a proper container). Either 2 pets in cabin or 2 pets in the hold. Or one of each in the cabin and hold.
- Guide dogs and other service animals are allowed to travel free of charge in the cabin with the passenger
- Additional fees for traveling with pets vary depending on the size of the carrier, destination, and number of animals
You must register your pet in advance of your flight by contacting Lufthansa (contact information here). If you don’t register your pet ahead of time, your pet will not be permitted on the flight.
Pets in the Cabin: Lufthansa Policy
With prior approval from booking your tickets, you may transport in the cabin:
- Only cats and dogs may be transported in the cabin
- Maximum weight of animal and carrier: 8 kg. (17.6 lbs.)
- Guide dogs are allowed regardless of their weight and size
- Maximum size of carrier: 19in/23cm (height), 15.5in/40cm (width), 21.5in/55cm (length)
- The kennel must fit under the seat for the entire flight
Pets in the Baggage Compartment: Lufthansa Policy
- Kennels must be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- Contain absorbent material or litter.
- Leash must be attached to the top of container and not be inside it.
- Kennels must have ventilation holes on all four sides.
For more details about Lufthansa’s pet policies, please see this page of the Lufthansa’s website
3 thoughts on “Lufthansa”
I want to know maximum weight of dog and kennel, any kennel size limitations, and who to contact. This needs updating!
What are the import,clearance policies for imported dog in cargo coming from USA so my husband can pick up our dog safely at Split airport.He will be coming alone with pet travel Transport and had meet all requirements to be transported.but they will just drop him off and we have to claim him at the custom.
What is the process once the dog arrived and fees please.
This is Wrong!!!!! LG. PET regulations in cabin. Size of carrier…22″ L. 16″. W. 9″ H. LUFTHANSA. 17.,65. LB,,,,,8kg..